Welcome to this edition of the Ultimate Recipe Challenge featuring Potatoes.
We have 40+ Amazing Bloggers sharing their potato recipes in this challenge. Did you ever think there were so many ways to enjoy potatoes?
Whether you mash, bake or roast, people often consider potatoes as comfort food. It is an important food staple and the number one vegetable crop in the world.
Here at the Farmhouse, we love our potatoes. When we have leftover mashed potatoes I make potato cakes. Its a Midwest tradition.
These potato cakes are so delicious and can be served for breakfast with eggs, as a snack or as a side item for your next meal.
Browned to perfection and oh so tasty. Comfort food at its best.
You will only need about 1 and 1/4 cups of mashed potatoes.
Add all the other ingredients (recipe ingredients below).
Cook in a skillet with hot oil.
Brown on each side.
All you need is some leftover mashed potatoes.
Drop the potato mixture into a skillet with hot oil. A hot skillet is a must or you will end up with soggy cakes.
Cook until brown on one side and then flip.
- 1 1/4 - cups mashed potatoes
- 1 - egg, slightly beaten
- 2 - Tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1/8 - teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 - teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 - cup all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- vegetable oil to cover bottom of skillet
- Sour cream
- Chives (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Skillet oil needs to be hot before adding potato mixture.
- Drop spoonfuls of mashed potato mixture, flattening slightly, and fry patties until golden brown on both sides
- 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from skillet, place on paper towel covered plate until served.
- Serve with sour cream and chives as desired.