Whenever you consult a style or decor magazine for some ideas, you’ll most certainly find a phrase “you have to match…”. Well, guess what? You don’t have to! One of the most popular trends in interior design, not just this year but for quite some time now, is the combo of modern and rustic. The rustic-modern style is so widely accepted because it allows you to create a beautiful space that strikes the perfect balance between these two very beloved and very different styles. This style is also extremely customizable, offering you a chance to make your home truly yours by expressing your personality and taste with every single detail. To find out how you can master this, please read on.
Achieve harmony with neutrals
While rustic is all about coziness and romantic vibes, modern is all about simplicity and elegance. So, in order to combine these two, you first need to find a common ground and see what’s the best way to merge them.
A perfect solution comes in the form of neutral hues. Off-whites, muted greens, soft yellows and various beiges usually featured in the modern design create a perfect backdrop that will only enhance the warmth and beauty of various wooden elements typical for the rustic design.
Here, think in terms of neural walls combined with wooden wall decor, neutral area rugs over beautiful hardwood floors, or neutral sofas paired with wooden coffee and side tables, and throw pillows in warm earthy hues like terracotta or chocolate brown. These combos are most suited for living rooms, kitchens and dining rooms.
Texture it up with nature
Another breathtaking feature very popular in the rustic-modern design is the use of natural materials to create a textured look. Various types and colors of wood, as well as natural stone, are the two most popular options, but natural brick and porcelain that mimic wood are also very trendy. There’s just something magical about the combination of these materials which makes them a very desirable element in any rustic-modern interior.
Here, think in terms of an exposed brick wall as a backsplash in the kitchen, combined with dark wood cabinets and dining benches, or taupe glass tiles paired with beautiful stone baths and storage solutions made of wood. These combos work best in kitchens and bathrooms, especially when paired up with wrought iron details like lighting fixtures or mirror frames.
Emphasize by mismatching
Matching and blending decor elements should probably be considered a crime because, by doing so, you are just toning down the beauty and uniqueness of those individual pieces.
Think about it this way: would you rather blend with the crowd or make yourself stand out?
Which of these would make you feel happy as opposed to feeling invisible? Real art, when it comes to home decor, is creating a space in which nothing matches in terms of color, texture, material, and finish, but everything seems to be working together in perfect harmony.
Alternatively, you can also make some pieces enhance the beauty of each other by, for example, using a beautiful lighting fixture that casts targeted light to emphasize the impact of a statement art piece or wall decor.
Divide to conquer
When combining two (or more) very different styles, it’s important to remember that it will be almost impossible to create a cohesive look by paying equal respects to both (or all) styles. Simply put, you will, in a way, need to choose a favorite.
What this means is that one style should be the main theme of the room, while the other should only additionally enhance the beauty of the first one. And that kind of is the secret of matching two different designs; if you were to combine two very similar styles, you would end up with a space that looks like it’s been decorated by someone who has heard something about the particular style but hasn’t quite understood it.
Here, it would be best to go with the 80/20 rule, meaning that 80% of the room should be designed in your favorite style, while the remaining 20% should only make that style stand out even more by creating a perfect contrast. Whether you decide to dedicate the 80% to rustic or modern is entirely up to you. Either way, you’ll be left with a room that could easily be found featured in one of the most prestigious home decor magazines.
As promised, there are no strict rules you need to follow when it comes to combining modern with rustic. However, there are some suggestions, yes, but they are very flexible and leave enough elbow space for you to create something truly unique that will show off your own personal style best. So, what are you waiting for? Go, make your home look fabulous!