Your home should be your safe space. It should be the one place where you can retreat to and not have to worry about a thing. Unfortunately, although many of us may think our homes ARE safe, there could be any number of hidden hazards waiting to hamper our health or cause accidents to occur.
Here are some of the most common hidden health hazards in the home and some advice on how you can avoid them:
We all know that the black mold that grows on our walls and ceilings is unsightly and can cause a degradation in our homes, but do you know that it can also pose a very real risk to one’s health? Unfortunately, this very common fixture can worsen conditions like asthma and allergies, cause sinus problems and lead to chronic conditions including fatigue and poor memory when left untreated.
While this particular danger can occur as a result of dust mites in the home, you will also feel the burden of allergies if you have a grass lawn or trees surrounding your home. You can avoid one of the hidden health dangers with the application and installation of artificial grass in the back and front yards instead of having real grass. Not only are you going to save yourself a lot of money on maintaining the garden, you’ll be able to avoid the sneezing, eye-watering allergies that come with grass pollen throughout the year. You can also have a gardener cut back all the bushes from the house and pave over any soil areas that weeds tend to shoot through. It’s all about getting rid of pollen risks!
Radon is a gas that is odorless and colorless, which basically means that it is undetectable. Every home has some radon in it, but usually, the levels are so low that they are not worth worrying about. This is a very good thing because, high levels of radon have been linked to very serious health conditions, most worryingly, lung cancer.
That’s why, if you live in an area that’s known to be radon affected to a greater degree than usual, you need to call out a professional team, like Central Iowa Radon , to check your levels periodically. Doing this will ensure your home doesn’t make you sick, so it is something you should seriously consider.
In 2015 alone, there were over 365,000 house fires in the United States, many of which resulted in fatalities. The causes of these fires were, of course, pretty diverse, but one of the most dangerous was undoubtedly faulty wiring. When the wiring in your home is old or faulty, every time you plug in an appliance, you are risking electric shock or even fire, which is why you should have your electrics checked by professional electricians on a regular basis. Ideally, you should have your wiring checked at least once a year.
Carbon Monoxide is very similar to radon in that it is an odorless gas, which means that you can be living with it for an extended period without even knowing it. Symptoms of exposure to carbon monoxide include dizziness, nausea, vomiting and even death. Having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is a very good idea if you want to protect your family from this terrible gas, which can be leaked into the home via a faulty boiler or similar.
You might think that the humble rug is a totally harmless and attractive addition to any home’s interior decor, and in most cases, you’re probably right, If you have young kids and, particularly, elderly people living with you, they can become a very real hazard causing trips and falls that could become quite serious. Luckily, you can easily prevent this by sticking your rugs down with double-sided tape, Most rugs need a nonslip pad to protect the rug, the floor underneath and keep the rug in place so that they don’t slide. You may want to just remove the rugs completely and let your beautiful floors shine instead!
It’s virtually impossible to ensure your home is 100 percent safe, but by taking these measures, you’ll ensure it’s a whole lot more so now and in the future.