10 Essentials of a Farmhouse Kitchen
One of the popular kitchen styles right now is the Farmhouse look, which to me is the ultimate in traditional classic America, and they never seem to go out of style.
One of my favorite memories as a little girl, was going to grandmas, sitting in her kitchen and watching her prepare a meal, she was a wonderful cook.
My grandmother’s kitchen was the true American farm kitchen. Plenty of storage in the white-painted cabinets, cast iron white sink, hand pump right next to the sink for the well water, wood floor, big cook stove, and a long farm table that would seat 12-14 people.
When planning my kitchen in my new house, I knew I wanted that farmhouse kitchen, warm and welcoming.
Don’t most of us love a great kitchen. Kitchens seem to be the heart of the home.
What is really great about the farmhouse kitchen, it can be rustic, chippy, elegant and modern, you can make it your own. I have a mix of modern/classic and rustic american farmhouse.
This was the start of my kitchen 9 months ago. We moved in on January 9th 2016. Not all the decorating or finishing touches are done, but I will show you the kitchen so far.
There are many, many items and ways to make a kitchen have that farmhouse feel, so if something says farmhouse to you, use it.
Here is MY list of my top 10 essentials to getting the farmhouse kitchen vibe:
1. Open shelving. In a classic farmhouse kitchen, wall-mounted shelves, glass doors and door less cabinets keep dishes easy to locate and grab. If your kitchen has traditional upper and lower banks of cabinetry, consider removing some of the doors for the look of open shelving, or replace wood sections of the doors with glass.
2. Cup Pull Handles say farm kitchen in a big way. I decided on these black cup matte handles with an aged look finish.
3. Big Heavy Duty Sink. This is perhaps the single most important element in a farm kitchen. With deep bowl and sturdy construction, a sink that stands up to heavy-duty use. You’ll find plenty of new ones on the market, but you can also source vintage models from salvage yards and flea markets. My pick was the KOHLER cast iron sink. This sink is so heavy that I was concerned with the backs of the guys installing it, but they came out injury free. WEEE!
4. Classic flooring. When I think of farmhouse I think of wood floors. I went with the wood and really like the contrast of the dark hickory floors against the white cabinets.
5. Vintage accents. Period touches ground the farmhouse look in its old-fashioned roots. Consider pitchers, pottery, lighting and other accessories as nostalgic top notes. Here is my vintage weight scales that still works and has a glass front.
Benches and stools are another essential for the farm kitchen style. They provide places to sit and talk or remove those muddy boots.
6. Hard Working Counter-tops. We chose the natural stone of granite for the counters. The beauty and durability of granite is undeniable. I compared many stone surfaces for the counters but the granite stole my heart.
7. Lighting Fixtures. Lighting for the kitchen is so important. Well lite areas for working is a must. I have recessed lights in the ceiling as well as pendant lights over the island and a three-light-fixture over the table. For information on how I decided to light my kitchen/dining/living room area check out the details here Lighting Fixtures.
9. Farmhouse Table seems to be family central! So many uses for the farm kitchen table, from a place for family and friends to gather to a place to do homework and projects. A must have..
10. BEADBOARD – Charming versatile Beadboard! On walls cabinets or ceilings, beadboard is a classic farm kitchen element. These striped wood panels offer a clean, uncluttered look to the farm kitchen decor.
What says Farmhouse to you? Want to see more of my farmhouse?
COMING UP NEXT WEEK…….Spring Fling Home Tour Blog Hop……Mar 21-28. With over 20 Bloggers, featuring a different decorating style each day. You don’t want to miss this.
Remember to pin this to your PINTEREST and follow FARMHOUSE 40 on PINTEREST for lots of farmhouse inspiration.